Free Parking in Ashford and Tenterden
You won’t need to worry about digging through your pockets for spare change quite so often because Ashford Borough Council has introduced free parking at certain times in selected council run car parks across the borough.
In addition, charges have been removed from parts of Ashford town centre.
Where can I park for free in Ashford?
- NEW FROM AUTUMN 2019- Free after 3pm in Elwick Place car park, every day (TN23 1DY)
- Free parking on Sundays and Bank Holidays at the Edinburgh Road multi-story car park in Ashford (TN24 8LG)
- Free parking on Sunday and Bank Holidays at the Flour Mills car park in Ashford (TN24 8PA)
- Free after 3pm in Edinburgh Road car park every day of the week Monday to Saturday
- Free after 3pm in Station Road car park, Ashford on Sundays and Bank Holidays (TN23 1PP)
Ashford town centre pedestrian zone
Ashford town centre is a pedestrian area during weekdays and on Saturday. There is an order preventing the movement of traffic within the zone during certain times (this is effected by the closure of a barrier on Bank Street).
The central pedestrian zone includes:
- Upper Bank Street
- High Street
- North Street
- Part of Park Street
There is a no waiting restriction (yellow line) in place across this zone between 6am and 6pm, Monday-Saturday. Parking is now free in marked bays in the central pedestrian zone outside of these hours (see below for more details)
- New Street (Access via Drum Lane, rather than Bank Street. The pedestrian zone is in operation between 8:30am and 4.30pm every day)
In all cases, please check with signs and/or markings when you park, as not all locations in these areas are available for general parking (e.g. taxi bays, double yellow lines etc.).
Free evening parking in the town centre
We have introduced free parking in the Ashford town centre pedestrian zone, by removing the need to pay and display a ticket outside the period when the pedestrian zone is in place.
- You can park for free in the marked parking bays in High Street, North Street and Bank Street after 6pm from Monday to Saturday. In addition, parking is free all day on Sundays.
- You can park for free in the marked parking bays in New Street after 4.30pm, all days.
Where can I park for free in Tenterden
- Free parking on Sunday and Bank Holidays at the Bridewell Lane car park in Tenterden (TN30 6EY)
- Free parking for up to an hour is offered in marked bays along the length of Tenterden High Street.
The council hopes the initiative will increase the footfall in Tenterden and Ashford which will help boost trade for local businesses and make our high streets an attractive option for new business ventures.
Absolutely we want to do more. We need to ensure that our towns have sufficient car parks in the future and we need to explore the use of systems such as Automatic Number Plate Recognition in any new car parks. This would make parking even more convenient for customers and has the potential to encourage longer stays in our town centres.
Many of the existing parking payment terminals have already been replaced with modern pay machines. When fully functional these machines will accept payment by which accept by coins, as before, as well as by credit/debit card and ‘wave and pay’ contactless technology.
All of our on-street and off-street parking locations across the borough are also served by the cashless parking service, 'Parkmobile'.
To see which car parks in Ashford are run by Ashford Borough Council, please see our parking pages for Ashford or Tenterden.