Urgent Telephone 4pm - 8.30am : 01233 331111

Employment And Volunteering

Employment advice

As part of our service our housing options officers can provide you with basic employment advice. They can also refer or signpost you to organisations that can help you to gain employment.

If you have previously been in the armed forces, you may be referred to Royal British Legion Industries' (RBLI) lifeworks scheme. You can also contact RBLI directly by email.

The National Careers Service provide information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work.

Volunteering opportunities

Voluntary work can be anything from being a good neighbour, to working with charities or other non-profit making organisations. Volunteering provides you with opportunities to develop your skills and explore other interests while boosting your skills and your CV. It also lets employers know that you can show commitment.

Our housing options officers may discuss making a referral to the Volunteer Centre on your behalf with you. You can also contact the Volunteer Centre directly by email.

You can also find out about volunteering in the following places:

  • Look in the local library;
  • Log on to the internet – most libraries now provide free internet access;
  • Check community centre notice boards;
  • Read local newspapers;
  • Listen to local radio;
  • Ask friends and family;
  • Visit our Voluntary and Community Sector page.