Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Improving Your Home

In addition to any planning or building control permission required, as a council tenant you must also receive our written permission to carry out improvements or structural alterations, such as;

  • Removing walls
  • Widening doors
  • Installing a conservatory
  • Installing external doors, e.g. patio doors
  • Installing new windows or altering existing windows
  • Installation of solar of photo-voltaic panels
  • Any alterations to the electrical system, e.g. additional sockets, electric shower
  • Any alteration to the gas system, e.g. installing a gas fire
  • Any alteration to the hot water/heating system, e.g. shower, radiators
  • Any alteration to the drainage system

If you wish to apply to make alterations, complete our online application form. See our guide to tenant's alterations for details of the types of work that do not require permission. 

We can give advice about getting planning and building control permission, or see our making planning applications page. For building control enquiries see our Building Control pages.

However, in addition to obtaining planning or building control permission, it is important to consider the impact on your neighbours of any external alteration or improvement, and we recommend you consult with your neighbours before incurring any expense.

For additional advice or to seek permission you can email the housing services team: housing@ashford.gov.uk or telephone 01233 330688.