Improving Your Home
In addition to any planning or building control permission required, as a council tenant you must also receive our written permission to carry out improvements or structural alterations, such as;
- Removing walls
- Widening doors
- Installing a conservatory
- Installing external doors, e.g. patio doors
- Installing new windows or altering existing windows
- Installation of solar of photo-voltaic panels
- Any alterations to the electrical system, e.g. additional sockets, electric shower
- Any alteration to the gas system, e.g. installing a gas fire
- Any alteration to the hot water/heating system, e.g. shower, radiators
- Any alteration to the drainage system
If you wish to apply to make alterations, complete our online application form. See our guide to tenant's alterations for details of the types of work that do not require permission.
However, in addition to obtaining planning or building control permission, it is important to consider the impact on your neighbours of any external alteration or improvement, and we recommend you consult with your neighbours before incurring any expense.