Noise is unwanted sound. It can cause disruption and distress to anyone - at home, at leisure, at work and at study.

What to do if you have a noise problem

In the first place it may be helpful to approach the person responsible and explain to them the nature of the problem, before considering taking the matter further. They may not realise they are causing a problem and you may well be able to resolve the situation quickly and amicably.

You can contact Citizens Advice for information about your rights or speak to Ashford Mediation who may be able to help by mediating between you and your neighbour.

If these routes do not work, you can make a formal complaint to us.

How we deal with complaints

How we deal with the complaint will depend on the type of noise, how loud it is, what time of day it takes place, how often it occurs and for how long it goes on. Each case is decided on its own merits and is assessed according to what a reasonable person would accept.

Types of noise nuisance

There are different types of noise that can be deemed a nuisance:

  • Loud music
  • Noisy neighbours
  • Pubs and clubs
  • Parties and raves
  • Alarms
  • Bird scarers
  • Buskers
  • Cockerel noise
  • Commercial noise
  • DIY noise and car repairs
  • Dogs barking
  • Fireworks
  • Musical instruments

Noise that is not deemed to be a nuisance

A noise that occurs very occasionally or is of short duration is unlikely to be a statutory nuisance and the noises we cannot usually deal with includes:

  • Hard floor noise
  • Household appliances
  • Noise from children
  • Road traffic noise (vehicles on the road, one-off event or loud stereos in a moving vehicle)
  • Shouting
  • Slamming doors

ABC report it logoMaking a noise complaint to us

You can make a noise complaint to us.

If you do need to speak to us please call 01233 331111.

Please note, we do not offer a standby 24 hour call out service. The completed report form will be received by an officer on the next working day. 

Council tenants

Complaints about council tenants should be emailed to or call 01233 331111.