Buskers Code of Practice
Ashford Borough Council does not presently licence buskers but we do have an obligation to observe the law relating to noise, obstruction and anti-social behaviour.
Therefore, Ashford Borough Council expects buskers to adhere to this code of practice.
- Noise from buskers should not be so loud that it can plainly be heard beyond a distance of 50 metres.
- Busking should not be so loud that it is intrusive or a nuisance to nearby premises.
- Amplification is allowed but should be set only slightly louder than the background street level.
- Buskers should not perform for longer than 1 hour at any location and should not return to that location for 4 hours.
- When moving onto the next location, this should not be within 75 metres of the previous location.
- Buskers should not set up within 50 metres of another busker.
- Buskers should not solicit for contributions but can accept donations.
- No merchandise should be offered for sale unless a street trader’s licence is obtained from the council.
- Buskers should reduce the volume of the music if requested, either by reducing the volume on the amplifier or by selecting quieter songs.
- Buskers should avoid setting up where they will impede the flow of pedestrians; e.g. ATMs, doorways.