How to complete the 2022 household response canvass
We send a canvass form to all residential properties once a year. This is used to check who is eligible to register to vote. We then publish the revised electoral register on 1 December.
You will soon be receiving an email or a letter from us. Please read it carefully. If you are required to respond and do not reply then we will send you a reminder. Canvassers are then required to either visit or telephone properties where a form has not been returned.
Emails requesting that you respond to the electoral canvass on-line are sent from Ashford Electoral Services <email@example.com>
We have to carry out the canvass by law so when you are contacted, if you need to respond then please do this as soon as possible. It will make sure the process runs smoothly. It also means there will be no need for additional contact.
Wherever possible, you should consider responding:
- By telephone.
- By text message.
How to respond
Read the information in your letter or email carefully to check the information is correct and whether or not you need to respond.
It's quicker to respond using online or text options. You'll need your unique two part security code printed on the form.
Some properties only need to reply if there's a change. Your property form provides more information.
You can reply using the following methods:
- By phone on 0800 197 9871 at any time. Enter your two part security codes when prompted.
- By text or SMS to 80212. Type NO CHANGE in the message, followed by your security codes .
- By post, making sure you complete the form fully. Please provide all of the information requested and ensure that you have signed the form.
What happens next
The form lists everyone currently registered to vote at the property. The information you provide is used to update the electoral register.
Completing and returning the form doesn't mean that you are registered to vote. This only informs us of the names of the people who should be on the electoral register at the property.
- Send an 'Invitation to Register Form' to anyone that has been added to the property so that they can register to vote.
- Write to anyone that has been removed from the property. This will be done to confirm they no longer live there.
Special category electors
Your name will not appear on the form sent to the property if you're a special category elector, such as a service voter or overseas elector.
About the Electoral Register
The Electoral Register is not published in the months of October or November during the annual Canvass. The revised register will be published on 1 December 2022. This is a statutory requirement.
If you have any questions about the form or your electoral registration, you can:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 01233 330402