Housing Complaints Procedure

Tenants complaints panel

Since 2013 the Housing Ombudsman has dealt with all complaints about social housing. Tenants of local housing authorities previously had the right to refer complaints about housing to the Local Government Ombudsman.

The Local Government Ombudsman considers complaints about local authorities’ wider activities, for example in discharging their statutory duties regarding homelessness.

The Housing Ombudsman can only consider complaints that have been referred by a ‘designated person’ (MP, councillor or recognised tenant complaint panel), or by the tenant themselves if 8 weeks have passed from the completion of the landlords internal complaint process. This provision does not apply to complaints made to the Local Government Ombudsman. These complaints can still be referred directly.

As a result tenants have received training to learn how to review serious complaints in order to decide whether or not to recommend cases are referred to the Housing Ombudsman. Councillors have also received training and will be supporting the Tenants Complaints Panel to deal with complaints.

If you would be interested in being trained to be considered to be on the Tenants Complaints Panel, email Anthony Crossley or call 01233 330464.

Housing complaints procedure

Complaints to Housing Services should only relate to Local Authority housing that is owned and managed by Ashford Borough Council.

Step 1

Within 3 working days

Your complaint will be passed to a member of staff to deal with and you will receive an acknowledgement.

Within 15 working days

We will have completed our investigation and will send you a written response.

If we need more time to investigate we will keep you informed of our progress.

Step 2

If you are not satisfied with our response we will pass your complaint to the Head of Housing Services to review the complaint to see if it has been dealt with fairly so far.

Within 3 working days
You will receive an acknowledgement from the Head of Service that they are dealing with your complaint.

Within 20 working days
The Head of Service will send you a written response. If more time is needed to investigate you will be kept informed of our progress.

Step 3

If, after receiving a response from the Head of Housing Services, you are still dissatisfied, your complaint will be passed to the 'designated person'. This will usually be three members of the Tenants' complaints panel, supported by a councillor.

(We work with our Tenant Representatives to provide them with specialist training in this area.)

Within 3 working days

You will receive an acknowledgement on behalf of the 'designated person'.

Within 8 weeks

The 'designated person' will review the case and send you a written response.

If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint

Should you remain dissatisfied after following our complaints procedure you may wish to contact the Housing Ombudsman.

Contact the Housing Ombudsman by completing their complaints form 

81 Aldwych
WC28 4HN

Tel: 0300 111 3000
Fax: 020 7831 1942

Useful Contacts

Ashford - Citizens Advice Bureau
Seabrooke House
Church Road
Kent TN23 1RD

Tel: 01233 626185


Tenterden - Citizens Advice Bureau
Town Hall
High Street
Kent TN30 6AN

Tel: 01580 762371

Useful Websites