The GREEN wheeled bin is for all recyclable items and it is emptied fortnightly.
- Do not line your recycling container with bags
- Do not put carrier bags/plastic sacks of items into your green recycling bin. Carrier bags and plastic sacks themselves cannot be recycled as part of this service
- Do not put dark plastic food trays (from microwave meals for example), or crisp packets in your green recycling bin. Please place them in your grey refuse bin
- Sanitary waste items such as nappies are not recyclable. Please place them in your grey refuse bin
- Food waste packaging should be emptied of its contents and rinsed before placing in your green recycling bin
- Garden waste should be placed in your brown recycling bin – not the green recycling bin
- Coloured or opaque bags including carrier bags should be used only in the grey refuse bin. These should not be used for recycling, only completely clear bags are permitted with recycling
For advice on how to improve the quality of items you're recycling, download our Quick Recycling Tips Guide [pdf] 1MB
For information regarding the Ashford Household Waste Recycling Centre run by KCC and items which we are unable to collect eg. old paint tins, engine oil etc. please visit KCC's Ashford household waste recycling centre page
Why not use your Wheel of Waste tool? Simply twist the wheel to reveal which bin common household waste items should be placed in. Next time you are in Ashford, call into reception at the Civic Centre where you can pick up your free copy of the wheel of waste.
What can be recycled
Understanding recycling symbols
Recycling symbols are now appearing on lots of everyday items to help us identify how different parts of the packaging can be recycled correctly.
It’s important to take a look at the symbols printed on the product to determine how to dispose of it correctly.
Remember: not all packaging will have recycling label but that doesn’t mean you can’t recycle it.
If you’re not sure what you can recycle, the handy guide below highlights the key symbols to look out for.
- Download our 2014/15 recycling statistics [pdf] 1313KB
- Download our 2015/16 recycling statistics [pdf] 1547KB