Disabled Band Reductions

If there is a disabled person living in the property, you may be able to claim a reduction in the amount of council tax that they pay. If certain conditions are met, the council tax bill could be reduced to that of a property in the next lowest band. Since 1 April 2000, an equivalent discount is also available for homes in band A. For a reduction to be made the disabled person must:

  • Live in the property but does not have to be the person liable to pay the council tax bill.
  • Use a wheelchair or a second bathroom or kitchen or an additional room in the property. This room must be essential or of major importance to the well-being of the disabled person because of the nature or extent of their disability.

You may qualify for a reduction if you have adapted your property for a disabled member of your household.

If you have photographic evidence to support your application, i.e. photo of your room used predominantly by the disabled resident, additional bathroom or kitchen or photos to show there is sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair indoors, please email these separately to revenues@ashford.gov.uk. Please put 'Disabled Band Relief' and your address in the email subject heading.

Apply for disabled band reduction.