Urgent Telephone 4pm - 8.30am : 01233 331111

Unoccupied property requiring or undergoing major repairs/structural alteration - prescribed Class D discount

From 1 April 2024:

Due to a change in policy, the Prescribed Class D Discount will no longer be available. If a property is unoccupied and undergoing major repair, the full Council Tax charge will be due and payable. Properties that have been empty and unfurnished for a total period of one year or more will attract a 100% surcharge from 1 April 2024. This effectively means the council tax bill will be double. Find out more about the long-term empty property premium charge. The premium applies to the property, a change of ownership of ownership or tenancy will not affect the premium. 

An unoccupied property which requires major repair work or structural alterations to make it habitable may be eligible for an exception to the premium charge for a maximum period of 12 months. Each case is decided upon the facts relating to the physical condition of the property and the nature of the work that is needed. 

Additional information should be supplied to support your application, such as structural reports, builders reports, surveys etc. In some cases, a Visiting Officer may also need to inspect the property.

When considering major/structural repairs, consideration will be given to the following;

  • Structural repairs to the main structure of the property, i.e. major roof repairs, replacing defective solid floor/ceiling joists, rebuilding internal/external walls. Minor alterations to the structure such as roof windows would not be deemed qualifying works.
  • The time it will take and the cost of the repairs.
  • General refurbishment and modernisation, such as replacing a kitchen and bathroom will not be considered.

The types of works that would be deemed renovation/modernisation works and would not qualify can be found below.

  • Plumbing, heating or rewiring, including repairs and renewals of services
  • Replacement/repairs of bathroom and kitchen or any other fitting/fixtures.
  • Timber or damp proof treatments.
  • Re-plastering and redecoration
  • Drainage.
  • Maintenance, for example re-pointing, window/door replacement.

Apply for prescribed class d (unoccupied property undergoing major repairs/alterations) discount.