Heritage Plaque Scheme Nomination Form
Introduction to the scheme
Thank you for your interest in the Ashford Borough Virtual Heritage Plaque Scheme. This scheme recognises and celebrates past Ashford Borough residents, noteworthy individuals with Ashford connections, and historically significant buildings across the Ashford Borough and within the boundaries of Ashford Borough Council’s (ABC) authority. ABC welcomes nominations for the scheme from private individuals or organisations alike, and there is no charge for making an application.
If successful, your nominee will receive a virtual plaque on our website, similar to the example below.
Before you start
Before proceeding with your nomination, please read the following:
- Please research your subject of nomination thoroughly before filling out the form, to ensure that there is a provable connection to Ashford.
- Once researched, please check that your subject of nomination meets the following first stage selection criteria:
- there is an original, publically accessible physical site or building associated with the nominee;
- that the person commemorated has been dead for at least 20 years (or deceased until the centenary of their birth) to allow for a period of reflection and the benefit of hindsight;
- there is demonstrable evidence of their stay in the Ashford Borough.
Nominations are subject to thorough historical research and discussion, and may be turned down for many reasons: for example, if a subject’s connection to Ashford is felt to be insufficiently clear, or if the original building associated with an individual or event no longer exists.
Please note that even if all the first stage criteria are met, Ashford Borough Council reserves the right to determine priorities among nominations based on the following:
- The nominee is recognised locally
- The nominee is also recognised nationally or internationally
- The nominee is an exceptional or outstanding person and the well-informed passer-by will recognise their name
- The nominee is regarded as being eminent by a majority of members of their profession or calling
- The nominee has genuinely contributed to human welfare or happiness and deserves recognition
If you have any queries or require further information, please contact the Heritage Team at email@example.com.