New Driver Licence
To become a private hire driver you need to read and complete the information contained within our application pack. This can be obtained from the Civic Centre in Ashford or the Town Hall in Tenterden. You can also request to have it sent to you by post.
Please note that with effect from 21 December 2020, there are changes to licensing requirements. If you requested an application pack prior to 21 December 2020 but have yet to apply, please obtain an updated pack before submitting your application.
As part of the process you will need to do the following:
- Pass a practical taxi driving test accepted by Ashford Borough Council. This can be done through agencies such as The Blue Lamp Trust, or alternative suppliers who meet our minimum specifications. Should you wish to use an alternative supplier please email the licensing team prior to booking to check that the test will be accepted by us;
- Evidence completion of Safeguarding training. Details of the accepted training providers (via online eLearning) and certificate providers will be published on our Driver pages in due course, but in the meantime we can confirm that we will accept courses from the Blue Lamp Trust (the current cost is £12.00). Should you wish to use an alternative supplier please email the licensing team prior to booking to check that the test will be accepted by us;
- Have an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check;
- All new drivers will be required to sign up to the DBS update service, and provide the required registration details to us prior to any renewal being granted;
- Pass a group 2 standard medical;
- Have held a full driving licence for at least 12 months;
- Undertake a private hire driver’s test which will test your knowledge on the following: information provided in the pack, topographical knowledge, the Highway Code and numeracy. This will be arranged once your application has been submitted and;
- Pay the appropriate fee.
Contact us for further information
For further information, or to obtain a pack, please email the licensing team.
You must submit the following (in person):
- Completed application form.
- Completed mandate to check your driving licence.
- Completed DBS form.
- Required identification.
You then have three months to submit your medical, pass the practical DVSA driving test, pass your PHD verbal test and provide evidence of your completed safeguarding training.