New Driver Licence
To become a private hire driver you need to read and complete the information contained within the application pack. This can be obtained from the Civic Centre in Ashford or the Town Hall in Tenterden. You can also request to have it sent by post.
As part of the process you will need to do the following:
- Pass a practical taxi driving test accepted by Ashford Borough Council. This can be done through agencies such as The Blue Lamp Trust, or alternative suppliers who meet our minimum specifications. Should you wish to use an alternative supplier please email the licensing team prior to booking to check that the test will be accepted by us.
- Have an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check.
- Pass a group 2 standard medical.
- Have held a full driving licence for at least 12 months.
- Undertake a private hire driver’s test which will test your knowledge on the following: information provided in the pack, topographical knowledge, the Highway Code and numeracy. This will be arranged once your application has been submitted.
- Pay the appropriate fee.
Contact us for further information
For further information, or to obtain a pack, please email the licensing team.