You will have to pay a fee to apply for most types of planning permission.
Planning application fees are currently set nationally. You must pay your fee when you make your application. Your application will not be processed until we have received the correct fee although some application types are exempt from fees.
Find out more by looking at Planning Fees – from 17 Jan 2018 [pdf] 110KB or on legislation.gov.uk.
No fee is needed for the following types of application:
- Listed building consent
- Conservation area consent
- Works to trees covered by a Tree Preservation Order or in a Conservation Area
How to pay
- Online via our Pay page
- By telephone using your credit/debit card and quoting your planning application number and address for your application
- In person at the Civic Centre, Ashford, or by post. Please make your cheques and postal orders payable to Ashford Borough Council with a reference to the application on the back
Why do we pay fees?
The 2017 Housing White Paper placed a significant emphasis on the need for the nation to build the homes we need in the right places.
To facilitate this, the government pledged to:
- Take steps to secure the financial sustainability of planning departments; ensure that the planning system has the skilled professionals it needs to assess and make the tough decisions we expect
- The government has therefore allowed local authorities to increase planning fees by 20% if they commit to invest the additional fee income in their planning department
Ashford Borough Council has indeed committed to re-investing the additional fee in the service and therefore increased planning application fees by 20% for all applications valid from 17 January 2017.