Urgent Telephone 4pm - 8.30am : 01233 331111

Specified And Temporary Accommodation

Specified (Supported and Exempt) Accommodation and Temporary Accommodation

If you are in Specified or Temporary Accommodation you need to claim your Housing Cost through Housing Benefit and all other living costs through Universal Credit. Below are descriptions of Specified and Temporary Accommodation.

Temporary Accommodation

Temporary Accommodation is accommodation which is provided by Ashford Borough Council to discharge the Councils functions under part VII of the Housing Act 1996 or prevent the resident from becoming homeless in accordance with part VII of the Housing Act 1996 and the accommodation isn’t exempt accommodation.

Specified (Supported and Exempt) Accommodation is accommodation which fits into one of the four categories below:

Category 1:

Exempt accommodation    

The Landlord is a not-for-profit body (such as a Housing Association) or Kent County Council and care/support supervision is provided by that landlord or someone acting on the landlords behalf

Category 2:

Accommodation provided by not-for-profit landlords or Kent County Council where support is not provided by or on behalf of the landlord but the resident was placed there to receive care/support/supervision

Category 3:

Domestic violence refuge provided by any Council or a not-for-profit landlord

Category 4:

Hostels provided by Ashford Borough Council where individual dwellings are not “separate, self-contained premises” and care/support/supervision is provided to the resident.