Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Welfare Reform

Here to help you!

Our Welfare Intervention Officers work to support people who need help with welfare reform changes. They can give you practical advice and signpost you to other helpful organisations.

They can refer you to specialist organisations who can help you with specific finance queries or help returning to work. They can also help with the following issues:

  • Council Tax advice, including Council Tax debt advice
  • Claiming Council Tax reduction or housing benefit
  • Claiming Discretionary Housing Payments or Council Tax Exceptional Circumstances Payments
  • General housing advice, including advice regarding rent arrears 
  • Referrals for homelessness advice
  • General advice around all welfare reform, such as the benefit cap, Universal Credit and other benefit changes

We’re also here to help if you’ve been financially affected by Coronavirus, or you’re feeling overwhelmed by the current situation. Get in touch with the team by sending an email to welfareinterventionteam@ashford.gov.uk.

You can also get advice and support from organisations other than the council. The following organisations can offer advice: 

Kent County Council's Support and Assistance Servicescan help anyone experiencing exceptional pressures or a major emergency. The KCC service is for home essentials. You can find out more about the service and complete an online application form.

So if you need advice or support from the Council's Welfare Intervention Officers – don't delay, contact us today!