Planning enforcement may be necessary when planning rules are not followed.
Breaking planning rules or a ‘breach’ may involve:
- Buildings being put up without planning permission or not being built as shown on the plan that has been approved
- The use of a property changing without planning permission
- A development being carried out without following the conditions of the planning permission
These planning breaches are not illegal. These will be investigated and if it is in the public interest, action may be taken.
If what is being carried out on the site is acceptable the council can consider it and grant a retrospective permission.
Other breaches can be illegal and lead to prosecution in the courts such as:
- Altering the inside or outside of a listed building without permission
- Felling protected trees or taking out protected hedges
We will handle enforcement in accordance with our agreed enforcement policy.
Further planning enforcement information downloads
Planning enforcement, Ashford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Tannery Lane, Ashford, Kent TN23 1PL