Disabled residents within the borough who have limited mobility and regularly experience difficulty in parking close to their home can apply for installation of an on-street disabled persons parking bay. These parking bays can only be provided for the purposes of preventing or relieving traffic congestion. General note for applicants and information on standard bays Badge holders may use any Disabled Persons Parking Bay that is available on the public highway – bays are not set aside for any one vehicle or permit holder.
If you wish to apply for a disabled persons parking bay, you must meet the following criteria in order for your application to be considered:
- You must be the holder of a valid Disabled Persons Blue Badge
- The vehicle you want to park in the bay must be registered at your address
- The applicant should be the driver of the vehicle needing a space. However, any exception to this should be stated in writing and accompany the application
- You must be have no access to any private off-street parking (such as a garage or driveway)
- You must regularly experience difficulty parking within close proximity of their home
- Applications made on behalf of children can be accepted under exceptional circumstances
- There is no charge for applications or the installation of a bay
- You must be in receipt of, or entitled to claim, one of either:
- The Standard or Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a score of at least 8 points from the 'Moving Around' descriptor
- The Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- The Attendance Allowance (at either the Lower or Higher Rate)
- The War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement
Application form and guidance notes (Kent County Council)
•APPLICATION NOTES- DOWNLOAD [pdf] 77KB
•APPLICATION FORM- DOWNLOAD [pdf] 218KB
5 PRIVACY NOTE FOR DISABLED BAY APPLICANTS +
Ashford Borough Council is the data controller for any personal information collected in this form. Your information will be used to administer the Disabled Persons Parking Bay Scheme, and processing is being conducted relying upon the public interest legal basis. Your address details may be disclosed as part of the local consultation process to partners acting on the council's behalf in the administration of the scheme. Your details may also be shared with Kent County Council as the highways authority.
Your information will be retained as long as you are in need of a disabled parking bay at the property, plus 6 years (or appropriate period). For more information about your data protection rights please see the council's data protection pages, which can be found at www.ashford.gov.uk or contact the Data Protection Officer at, The Data Protection Officer, Ashford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Tannery Lane, Ashford TN23 1PL.
Details of any unsuccessful application will be retained by the council for a period of three months following service of notification to the applicant. Application details and supporting documents will then be destroyed. This allows the applicant time to appeal to Kent County Council and for the necessary documents to be shared with the Kent County Council officer to facilitate that appeal. Any communication received after that period will therefore need to be treated as a new application.
Additional notes for applicants
Please do not send original documents with applications or whenever other documentary evidence is requested.
Any copies received will be scanned onto the case and held electronically – paper copies will not be retained. Any electronic copies will be held for as long as they are needed (see above for more information on retention).