Urgent Telephone Weekends : 01233 331111

Carer Disregards

Council tax reductions are available to anyone who cares as a home carer or a care worker. 

Home carers

A home carer is someone who meets the following criteria:

  • lives with the person they care for;
  • provides care for an average of at least 35 hours a week;
  • is not caring for their husband, wife, or partner;
  • is not a parent caring for a child under 18.

The person cared for must be receiving one of these relevant benefits:

  • higher or lower rate of Attendance Allowance;
  • higher or middle rate of care component of Disability Living Allowance;
  • the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment;
  • an increase in the rate of Disablement Pension or an increase in Constant Attendance Allowance.

You will need to provide proof with your application that the person cared for is receiving one of the benefits shown above.

Care workers

A care worker is someone who meets the following criteria:

  • provides care or support on behalf of a 'relevant body' or was introduced to and is employed by the person they care for by a 'relevant body' (a relevant body is a local authority, central government or a charity);
  • is employed to provide this care for at least 24 hours a week;
  • is paid £44 or less per week and lives in the property provided​.
Page 1 of 5