Unoccupied Property Undergoing Major Structural Works
Unoccupied property undergoing major structural works (Prescribed Class D Discount):
A property which requires major repair work to make it habitable may be eligible for this discount. Each case is decided upon the facts relating to the physical condition of the property and the nature of the work that is needed. This discount can only apply for a period of up to 12 months. This discount ends if the property becomes occupied or furnished. Before this discount can be allowed, a visit will be made by a visiting officer to confirm if it applies.
Please note, if you are resident in a mobile home or touring caravan within the grounds of the property whilst works are carried out, the mobile home/touring caravan is deemed to be an extension to the property. As such, you will not qualify for the uninhabitable discount.
Major repair works include structural repairs. The following types of repairs are included:
- Major repairs to roof structures
- Rebuilding defective chimney stack(s)
- Rebuilding external walls, for example to extend the property
- Repair/renewal of foundations
- Underpinning substandard foundations
- Replacing defective solid floors
- Replacing defective floor joists
- Property totally gutted including removing most internal walls
- Replacing defective ceiling joists
- Rebuilding defective walls
The types of repairs and alterations listed below will not qualify a property for an uninhabitable property discount:
- Plumbing or heating
- Replacement/repairs of bathroom and kitchen or any other fitting/fixtures
- Timber or damp proof treatments
- Re-plastering (walls or ceilings)
- Repairs or renewals of services
- Maintenance, for example re-pointing, window/door replacement
Properties that have been empty and unfurnished for a total period of two years or more will attract a 100% surcharge from 1 April 2019. This effectively means the council tax bill will be double. With effect from 1 April 2020 any property remaining empty and unfurnished for a period of 5 years and more attracts a surcharge of 200%. With effect from 1 April 2021 there will be a 300% surcharge for properties empty and unfurnished for ten years or more.