Decent Homes Standard
We have a programme for maintaining our properties. This is to make sure they meet and exceed the government's property condition standards – this is known as the 'decent homes standard'. Find out more information on the government website.
Maintenance, improvements and refurbishments
We are committed to improving our housing stock above the basic requirements with modern facilities of the highest standard.
To manage this process we keep a database of all the major works, dates of previous work undertaken and its expected lifetime.
The home improvements we carry out include the following:
- Bathroom and kitchen refurbishments;
- Upgrading heating systems;
- Loft, cavity and external wall insulation;
- Electrical rewiring;
- Replacing roofs;
- Replacing windows and doors;
- Repointing and rendering walls;
- Replacing cladding and tile hanging;
- Refurbishment works to common areas in blocks of flats;
- Estate improvements.
Our work is based around the age and history of maintenance for each property and the budget available.
We will contact you giving plenty of notice when work is due to take place. Our surveyors will visit you to discuss what work is to be carried out. They will explain what's involved and any choices you need to make as well as discuss how long the work will take and any likely inconvenience you may experience.
To find out more about the work we do, please see our dedicated leaflets:
- A Guide to Kitchen Refurbishment (2019) [pdf] 616KB
- A Guide to Bathroom Refurbishment (2019) [pdf] 424KB
- A Guide to Boiler Refurbishment 2019 [pdf] 3015KB
- A Guide to Roof Refurbishment 2019 [pdf] 2275KB
- A Guide to Roofline Refurbishment Leaflet 2019 [pdf] 4203KB
- A Guide to Water Mains Refurbishment March 2013 [pdf] 1945KB
- A Guide to Electrical Refurbishment Feb 2017 [pdf] 1663KB
Contact Planned Maintenance
Email us if you have an enquiry about planned maintenance.
Opportunities to contract with the council for housing projects are advertised on the Kent Business Portal and Contracts Finder, where appropriate. See doing business with the council for more information.
The Planned Maintenance team has an Electrical division (DLO) who are a NICEIC approved installer and MCS registered. The electrical team undertake electrical inspections and works for Housing Services but are also available for private commissions. Email the electrical team for more information.